What Causes Crooked Teeth?
Crooked teeth are a type of malocclusion, which is a fancy way of saying teeth that are misaligned.
There are many causes of crooked teeth, including:
• Genetics – You or your partner’s teeth crooked? Chances are your child will get them too.
• Small jaws – Your teeth cannot fit into that tiny space, which causes teeth to overlap.
• Jaw misalignment – If your child has an overbite or an underbite, chances are their jaw is not properly aligned
• Large or extra teeth – The size of your child’s jaw may be perfectly fine. But alas, their teeth are not.
• Premature loss of baby teeth
• Tongue thrusting – a fancy way of saying that the tongue sticks out of their front teeth
• Thumb sucking
• Using a pacifier beyond 3 years old
• Jaw or mouth tumors